AARP Driver Safety Program
Satellite Beach Police Dept. offers the AARP Driver Safety Program 4 times a year.
Why Take A Driver Safety Class?
Cars have changed. So have the traffic rules, driving conditions, and the roads you travel every day. Some drivers age 50-plus have never looked back since they got their first driver's licenses, but even the most experienced benefit from brushing up on their driving skills.
What Will I Learn by Taking the Course?
You can expect to learn current rules of the road, defensive driving techniques, and how to operate your vehicle more safely in today's increasingly challenging driving environment. You'll learn adjustments to accommodate common age-related changes in vision, hearing, and reaction time. You will learn the following:
- How to minimize the effects of dangerous blind spots
- How to maintain the proper following distance behind another car
- The safest ways to change lanes and make turns at busy intersections
- Proper use of safety belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes and new technologies used in cars
- Ways to monitor your own and others' driving skills and capabilities
- The effects of medications on driving
- The importance of eliminating distractions such as eating, smoking, and cell-phone use
After completing the course, you will have a greater appreciation of driving challenges and of how you can avoid potential collisions and injuries to yourself and others.
What Else Do I Need to Know?
- You may be eligible to receive an insurance discount upon completing the course, so consult your agent for details.
- The AARP Driver Safety Program has helped millions of drivers stay safe on the roads since its inception in 1979.
- Although it is geared to drivers age 50 and older, the course is open to people of all ages.
- AARP membership is not required to take the course.
- There is no test to pass.
The classroom course costs only $12 for AARP members and $14 for non-members. Please bring exact change if possible; you pay at the beginning of the class. Don't forget to bring your
AARP card to get the discount.
You must re-register by calling Beverly Ryan at (321) 773-4400 ext 131
Do not show up at the class without pre-registering.
We only have a limited supply of materials per class.